• A.M. Todd Collection

    A.M. Todd Collection

About the Collection

One of the Museum’s treasures is the collection of Albert M. Todd. Todd made this donation with the understanding that the Kalamazoo School Board would acquire and open a public museum. In 1927, the former home of Horace B. Peck, located at the corner of Rose and South Streets, was purchased by the School Board and became the first official public museum in Kalamazoo.

A.M. Todd – “The Peppermint King”

Albert M. Todd founded the A.M. Todd Company, a leading producer of mint oil. Todd travelled to Europe eight times between 1907 and 1923 to build his personal collection of art, antiquities, decorative objects and books. Wishing to leave a legacy for educational institutions in Kalamazoo via his collections, Todd offered his collections to the community with the understanding that the Kalamazoo School Board would acquire and open a public museum. This led to the purchase of the home of Horace B. Peck, son of Horace M. Peck, the man who made the initial donation of shells, corals, fossils and marbles, on Rose Street in 1927. In his will, Todd left nearly 600 antiquities to the care of the museum.

Kalamazoo Valley Museum
General Admission Is Free

230 North Rose Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
800.772.3370 | 269.373.7990
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Kalamazoo Valley Museum is operated by Kalamazoo Valley Community College and is governed by its Board of Trustees.

Site by NK

2021 American Alliance of Museums.
All rights reserved.

2021 Kalamazoo Valley Museum.
All rights reserved.